one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.
Hans Christian Andersen is probably best remembered as the author of classic fairy tales. But it is his words concerning the importance of sunshine in life that I especially love. So when I was nominated by fellow Love Well Live Well blogger, “Miss Happy Spirits”, to receive the Sunshine Award, I fell in love with its colorful little flower and sunshine motif and premise and happily accepted.
In addition to (1) linking back here to the one who nominated me and (2)displaying its colorful graphic on my blog, acceptance of the award carries two additional requirements. Rule #3 — to write 10 random things about myself — gave me momentary pause, but then I thought about all the ways sunshine plays a role in my life and came up with the following:
1. My favorite season is summer, mostly because of its bright sunshine and longer days.
2. When I was a child, I hated asparagus, brussel sprouts and big fat Fordhook lima beans. I still can do without lima beans, other than when in summer succotash, which I love.
3. I get restless when doing one thing for too long, though with some things, I can go on forever. I will always be drawn to the sea.
4. My dream since I was a child was to go on safari in Africa. When I finally did so three years ago, it far exceeded my expectations.
5. I love to paint, especially with watercolors, and particularly of birds and wildlife. The painting that gave me the most pleasure was of a lion seen on the Serengeti in Tanzania.
6. Though I love to look at and photograph flowers, I’m secretly glad that the deer who enjoy dining in my yard provide me with an excuse not to garden.
7. I believe that it is the sense of wonder that is most instrumental in bringing me joy.
8. Sometimes I try new things and wish I hadn’t. But mostly, I’m glad that I did and see later how much I grew with each leap taken.
9. I’m as apt to look to Winnie the Pooh for advice as to others of the world’s greatest thinkers.
10. When the sun doesn’t shine in the sky, I look for it in the smiles, or the eyes, or the love of those who surround me.
Rule #4 was probably the easiest — nominate ten other bloggers who “positively and creatively inspire others in the blogosphere,” plus let them know you nominated them. I hope you enjoy visiting their sites — each offers a bit of sunshine!
Sunshine. I hope that each of these blogs may bring you a ray or two or three of sunshine. As Hans Christian Andersen said, just living is not enough. Look for the sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.